Luka Ljubas was born in Vienna in 1996 into a family of Croatian-Japanese musicians in Vienna.
He first learnt the violin from his mother and then moved to Prof. Arkadij Winokurow at the state music school in Margareten, Vienna. In 2006 he was admitted to the class of Brian Finlayson at the State Conservatorium of Carinthia, Since 2012 he has been studying with Prof. Gerhard Schulz at the Vienna University of Music and Performing Arts.
Luka has won several national competitions, including two first prizes with extra prizes at the state and federal competition Prima la musica, has received many prizes at the State Conservatorium of Carinthia and in 2014 he was awarded a special prize for this artistic efforts by the Vienna University of Music and Performing Arts.
The young musician is the winner of several international competitions. In 2012 he was awarded the first prize at the Premio Citta di Padova in the stringed instruments category and in 2013 he was the winner, as youngest entrant, playing Tchaikovsky’s violin concerto, in the category open to all instruments. He is also prizewinner of the Stefanie Hohl Wettbewerb in Vienna and the Premio di Rodolfo Lipizer in Gorizia.
He is in demand as a soloist nationally and internationally. His debut as a soloist was at age 14 with Wieniawski’s 2nd violin concerto. His greatest triumph so far was as a soloist with the Vienna Chamber Orchestra in the Wiener Konzerthaus under Joji Hattori, playing Haydn’s violin concerto.
Luka has worked together with Nadja Höbarth, Erwin Kropfitsch and Ekaterina Rumyantseva. He has also been in musical contact with Mark Kindaid and Rohan De Silva.
He has attended masterclasses with So-Ock Kim, Pavel Vernikov, Eszter Haffner, Igor Ozim, Yuzuko Horigome, Rodney Friend, György Pauk and Taras Gabora.
Luka has been supported by the Viennese violin maker Christine Eriks, who has lent him violins and bows including a violin made by Felix Mori Costa in 1812.
Since 2014 he has been performing on a violin made by Giovanni Battista Guadagnini in Turin between 1783 and 1785. This violin was kindly lent by Andrea König through Beare’s International Violin Society in London.